Friday, July 10, 2009

My house looks like a tornado hit it!

By day I am a Travel Agent. There are tons of different types of travel agents: leisure, corporate, groups, missionary and incentive. I deal with groups and missionaries. Yes there really is a need for travel agents that specialize in Mission Travel.

We live in a really big world. If you walk into a normal leisure agency and ask the person behind the desk for a flight to Ouagadougou (it is the capital of Burkina Faso which is located in Northern Africa in case you are curious) they are going to look at you like you have three heads. If you go to an agent that specializes in Africa or in mission travel they are going to tell you that currently the best way of getting there is on Air France.

My original background was in leisure travel- so I do know alot about the more popular travel destinations out of the North Texas area. In fact that is part of the reason I was added to our group and missions department. I had dealt in large groups, had extensive leisure knowledge and also had with more visa applications that the others that had applied for the job. My first day on the job someone called and asked for a ticket to the above mentioned Ouagadougou. I had not clue where on earth that was. For goodness sakes I could not even say it. Of course I put the person on hold, looked at my boss like she had three heads and asked her if she had ever heard of it and of course she rattled off the Air France info.

These days I don't get stumped much and I love it when I do get stumped. Google and the World Atlas are my best friends. With out them I would not survive. I have learned how to pronounce the names of cities in countries I did not even knew existed. The best part about the job is that I never get bored. Overwhelmed, yes. I spend a lot of my time feeling like I need to clone myself.

So from time to time I think I will share some of the more interesting things that happen at my day job. A nice break from some of the shameless promoting that I plan on doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment